Thursday, October 16, 2008

Week 6 Pick'em Results

Another week and another tie in the weekly pick'em. This time, it's between the two previously-named teams of Death Metal and Bisonweb. Yes, DM and BW sit atop the weekly standings with a less-than-lofty 8-6 record. Team Miasma barely fell out of contention (I blame picking Cincinnati). However, team Bisonweb could have won this week fairly handily if their manager had bothered to do his picks on time.

On to the games.

Team Bisonweb rushed through its picks, leaving the picks two short and went the anti-Kraftverk by picking the home team in each of those contests (1-1 in guesses). Team Bisonweb is wondering whether it is better to rush through the picks since they finished with an 8-6 record on the week and share of the top spot.

Chi @ Atl: ATL - I didn't think that Chicago could go in and beat a really, really good rookie quarterback. Looks like Matt Ryan wasn't a reach at #3. (At least this year. Vince Young didn't look like a reach at #3 his rookie year either, but Joey Harrington did)

Car @ TB: CAR - Yes, I got this one wrong but so did EVERYONE ELSE.

StL @ Was: I was so tempted to take St Loo in this one. I love the Haz and my fingers were itching for the upset but I didn't do it. I would have talked myself out of it. But I think they'll be better without the rape-enabler coaching their team.

Cin @ NYJ: Favre, man. if they win out, I won't be surprised.

Bal @ Ind: Manning versus Flacco. Gimme Manning.

Det @ Min: I thought this one would be a laugher. It almost was, as I would have laughed my guts out at Minnesota if Detroit had beaten them.

Oak @ NO: This one played out as expected. The Raiders are a freaking disgusting joke.

Mia @ Hou: Screw all you guys! Houston wins a game. And pulls an inverted rosencopter to do it.

Jac @ Den: Jacksonville is hitting their stride. I still hate them.

Dal @ Ari: I was going to pick Arizona. I put down Dallas and had every intention of going back and changing it. In fact, when Arizona won, I was thinking "Ha! Sean gave up on the Cards too soon! Good thing I didn't!" Too bad I did. Crap.

GB @ Sea: heh. Loserville.

Phi @ SF: I was waffling, I'll admit. I picked the home team because I ran out of time.

NE @ SD: Again, I didn't get this pick in in time, and picked the home team. Good thing in this case.

NYG @ Cle: Who knew? Derek Anderson. Braylon Edwards. STEVE HEIDEN! WOOOOOO! Kellen WHO Junior?

Team Death Metal secured the other share of top spot with an 8-6 record. Here are the games.

Baltimore at Indianapolis:
Indianapolis. Flip a coin. [Indianapolis flipped the coin. While the Ravens were looking down to see what came up, Peyton kicked Ray-ray in the junk and stole the game.]

Carolina at Tampa Bay:
Carolina. I’m just not sold on Tampa Bay. Plus, Jake Delhomme will use his Hard Target-esque Cajun accent to ensure victory.[Jon Gruden doesn't care about you. He won just to vex Sean Woods. "I'll show that son of a bitch who takes care of business!"]


Chicago at Atlanta:
Atlanta. Possibly my dumb pick of the week, but I think Atlanta can take the Bears at home.[Not so dumb. Bears taken. Ryan awesome.]


Cincinnati at N.Y. Jets:
New York Jets. Just like Sean Woods, the Jets will take care of business. This is my Death Metal Power Chord Lock of the Week.[Gutsy call with the PCLOtW but it played out and paid off.]


Detroit at Minnesota:
Minnesota. As bad as (I think) the Vikings are, the Lions are that much worse.[You think. You think. Well, the Lions are just a bitty bitty bit worse.]


Miami at Houston:
Miami. Liam, I want to pick Houston, I really do…but I can’t this week. That said, I’m sure Miami will fuck me again and lose.[YOU DON'T WANT TO PICK HOUSTON! YOU WANT THEM TO LOOOOOSE! But they didn't.]


Oakland at New Orleans:
New Orleans. I should have saved the Death Metal Power Chord Lock of the Week for this game. Oh, those goofy RaiderZ.[The 'z' is truly appropriate this time, since NO won in a snoozer.]


St. Louis at Washington:Washington. By a lot.[St. Loo with the Haz at the controls.]


Jacksonville at Denver:
Denver. Only because they are at home, and for some unknown reason I have something against the Jags.[Probably because they dropped your win total in week 6 of pick'em.]


Dallas at Arizona:
Dallas. You all know I love Kurt Warner and the Cardinals, but the Cowboys are just too darn good.[Too darn good at LOSING! Maybe not with Roy Williams and Roy Williams, though.]


Green Bay at Seattle:
Green Bay. I love being able to pick Loserville to…um, lose, every week. It brings my bleak world joy.[I didn't know your world was bleak. heh heh... loserville.]


Philadelphia at San Francisco:Philadelphia. Eagles win a squeaker, McNabb apologies for not being able to score more points.[If he's apologizing after that, that's just false modesty]


New England at San Diego:
San Diego. San Diego is bound to get a bounce sooner than later – why not this week?[Didn't need a bounce. They bounced the Patriots.]


N.Y. Giants at Cleveland:
New York Giants. The boys from the Big Apple take a bite out of the Browns. [but the bite was poisoned and Shaun Rogers is a beast.]


On to Team Miasma with the unclear and foggy picks that landed them at 7-7 in third spot:

Chi@Atl - Atlanta. Would not be surprised if this is a high scoring game. Falcons have shown me more this year.[No kidding. Falcons are doing really well. And Chicago is way unreliable.]

Car@TB - Carolina. The Gruden Scowl has no doubt deepened this week, but still isn't enough to stop Carolina from rushing for 200 yards and winning the game.[That scowl is for doubters like you... and me, I guess.]

StL@Was - Washington. The Rams have no defense. They also have no offensive line. A team of children would run rampant over their squad. Redskins are adults. Prepare for ass whupping.[But they DO have Jim Haslett. he got a lot out of some pretty bad Saints teams, too.]

Cin@NYJ - Cincy. Prepare for the Jets letdown! I don't like New York's defense, and the Bengal offense actually played some good ball last week. Favre starts trying to force another 6 TDs, ends up with 17 interceptions.[He did get a lot of interceptions but their defense is quietly very good. Look at Calvin Pace doing something.]

Bal@Ind - Indy. Their offense is going to struggle with the Ravens, but the Ravens offense...well, actually, the Ravens offense lives somewhere in Loch Ness, next door to the monster, and down the street from Bigfoot in the suburbs of Atlantis.[Their offense is wearing diapers and sucking on its thumb.]

Det@Min - Minny. The Lions might be the worst team in the NFL (and that's saying something in a league containing the vermin known as 'Chiefs' and 'Raiders'). They are such a powerful source of suckage that goodness is pulled in and dies. Luckily, the Vikings have two immense defensive tackles who can clog the hole, saving us from a world run by Matt Millen.[They may be bad but they nearly won a dogfight.]

Oak@NO - Saints. The Raiders are going to run the ball well, but the Saints are going to put up about 6000 yards of offense on the Raiders massively overrated defense (with a few exceptions). Darth Raider shall be totally faced.[Poor darth. No death star for you.]

Mia@Hou - Houston. Yes, the Texans will finally win, BUT ONLY IF they have to come back in the 4th. IF they have a lead, they're doomed. Bonus points if they do the world a favor and shatter Joey Porter's jaw.[Joey Porter showed the rookie Duane Brown a thing or two but at least it wasn't Brad Hopkins versus Derrick Thomas part 2.]

Jac@Den - Denver. Probably will be a close game. Denver can't stop the run, Jags can't stop the pass. Lots of points, and the home team gets the nod.[Jags... what... can't... what? Oh, I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how wrong you are ABOUT YOUR OWN TEAM! And Jay Cutler is turning into a douche.]

Dal@Ari - Dallas. I still just don't buy in to the Cardinals. This is the team, after all, that gave up 56 points TO THE JETS. They also simply cannot run the ball when they need to.[They gave up 56 points to Brett Favre. Tony "RI'm rnot ra" Romo is not Brett Favre.]

GB@Sea - Packers. Seattle is an absolute disaster right now. The defense is surprisingly bad, and their receivers are as reliable as the Dow Jones right now.[And as injured.]

Phi@SF - Philly. Actually a bit of a tough pick right now. Eagles have been unpredictable in terms of play quality, but they simply have a better roster than the Niners right now. O'Sullivan should have trouble making big plays against a decent secondary.[As much as all of us (except Kyle) struggled with this pick, it turned out to be a pretty bad game.]

NE@SD - New England. The Chargers have the look of a team that figured they were awesome, so who needs to really practice or work out? They flat out cannot block worth a damn, and the D is still stuck playing Ted Cottrell 'Just grin and bear it' bend but don't break crap., even though they're built for aggression.[BWAAAAA HAH HAHAHAHAHA!]

NYG@Cle - Giants. Wow, at the start of the year, this looked like a good game. The Browns were overhyped coming in. Will this be the week that 'Muscles' Quinn finally gets his chance? Or did some of that John McCain Anti-Magic rub off when he endorsed him this week?[Better than expected.]

Finally, Team KraftVerk limped to a 4-10 showing this week, teaching us that maybe there is something to "Home Field Advantage". Just think, Kyle, if you'd gone the other way, you would have won the week by two games. I'm not going to do a huge writeup on yours, mainly because lunch hour is over and I need to get back to work.

Sorry about the really late entry this week. I'll try to have the schedule up fairly soon (maybe I can scrounge a couple of minutes this afternoon) and deadline will be Saturday at midnight for picks.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

I want a recount...